Optimmune is an eye ointment that contains cyclosporine. It is used for the management of chronic keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS or dry eye) and chronic superficial keratitis (CSK). This preservative-free ointment reduces the chances of chemical irritation and secondary infection, and can be stored for 24 months without refrigeration.
Optimmune Ophthalmic Ointment is indicated for the treatment of chronic keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS or dry eye) in dogs.
Possible Side Effects
Please contact your veterinarian if the following adverse reactions occur: eye or eyelid inflammations or redness, the mild discomfort of the eye, transient hyperemia, mild hair loss, lid spasm and excessive rubbing.
Drug & Food Interactions
In the KCS clinical field trial, there were 20 adverse reactions reported out of 132 cases enrolled. The reactions described were primarily ocular and periocular inflammatory reactions. These were likely a failure to completely control the condition, rather than a true "adverse reaction."
On rare occasion, Optimmune Ophthalmic Ointment may be associated with local irritation such as periocular redness, lid spasm, and excessive rubbing. As the eyes of dogs with KCS often demonstrate considerable inflammation, it will be difficult to determine whether this local irritation constitutes a hypersensitivity to Optimmune Ophthalmic Ointment. If this ocular irritation persists beyond 7 days see your vet.
When switching to this medication from another therapeutic agent (e.g., frequent application of an artificial tear preparation), keep in mind that clinical effectiveness is not necessarily apparent immediately after initiation of this medication. Several days to a few weeks may be required before the clinical effects are of sufficient magnitude, such that previously initiated therapy can be safely withdrawn. Abrupt cessation of a therapeutic agent immediately upon initiation can result in rapid clinical relapse, which may be erroneously interpreted as an adverse reaction to the medication. It is recommended that in cases of preexisting viral or fungal ocular infections, this medication is delayed until the infection has been successfully treated.
This item is excluded from the first-time Autoship promotion.
Active Ingredient: Cyclosporine 2 Mg, USP.
Inactive Ingredients: Petrolatum, USP; Corn Oil, NF; Petrolatum and Lanolin Alcohol.
A 1/4 inch strip is to be administered every 12 hours to the affected eye(s). The ointment may be placed directly on the cornea or into the conjunctival sac.
Store between 36° - 77°F.
What is Optimmune Ophthalmic Ointment?
Optimmune Ophthalmic Ointment is an eye ointment that contains cyclosporine. It is used for the management of keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS or dry eye). May also be prescribed for the management of inflammation in another eye condition called chronic superficial keratitis (CSK).
What are the benefits of Optimmune Ophthalmic Ointment?
- Treats dry eyes
- Fast acting
- Reduces inflammation and irritation
- Easy to administer
How is this medication given?
Give Optimmune exactly as directed by your veterinarian. Optimmune is given directly to the eye.
How does this medication work?
Cyclosporine has broad anti-inflammatory effects that help to reduce damage to the tear glands while also stimulating tear production.
What results can I expect?
It may take a few weeks to achieve a maximum effect. If there is not improvement or the condition worsens, contact your veterinarian.
How to Order Your Pet’s Medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- Log into your account on pasadenapetstore.com and create your account if you are ordering any prescription items. This way, You can track all your previous history of orders with us including your pet, veterinarian information.
- Please allow us to contact your veterinarian and give us, Pasadena Pet Store, to obtain a prescription on your behalf by faxing a form to your vet or call to send us the prescription. All your vet needs to do is fill out the form We will be providing and fax them back to us.
- During the checkout, you will be asked to provide information about your animal(s) and your veterinarian. Please have the following information ready if you’re able:
- Your animal's name, species, date of birth and gender
- Any allergies your animal may have to medications
- Current listing of any medications your animal may be taking
- Your veterinarian's name, fax number, and phone number
- By Fax: Your vet can fax the prescription from his or her office to (626) 568-1115. If you have already placed an order, please have your vet reference the order number on the document.
*Faxed prescriptions must come from your veterinarian’s office. Please do not send such fax yourself. *
- By Phone: Veterinarian can approve your prescription over the phone by speaking with a Pasadena Pet Store pharmacist at (626) 568-1115.
- By Mail: You can mail the original written prescription (no photocopies, please) to:
Pasadena Pet Store / Pasadena Pets Hospital
2850 East Foothill Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91780
Please Note: If you have the original written prescription (or notarized copy of the prescription) – you must mail it to the pharmacy. Please do not email your prescription (if you have the original). We cannot accept prescriptions via email. All prescriptions remain on file at Pasadena Pet Store and are valid for one year (unless a shorter date is specified by the prescriber) or until the total quantity has been dispensed, whichever occurs first.
Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by veterinarians. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
Online Store Hours:
- 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM PST M-F
- Please contact our store at (626) 568-1115 for any questions or email us at email@example.com
- Any phone calls and/or emails left before 2:00 PM PST will be returned that business day - calls/emails left after 2:00 PM PST will be returned the next business day.
*In the event of an emergency - please contact your local veterinarian immediately.*
- You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- The availability of medications may vary by state.
- We cannot ship any prescription medications to destinations outside of the United States nor non-approved state.
- You have to be an existing client or previous client, and existing client relationship with veterinarian is within 1 year.
- When ordering prescription items, you must FIRST log in or create an account to complete your order. We will not ship or fill any medicine without existing client relationship with us, nor without prescription.
- Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by your veterinarian. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
- Prescription products are generally shipped 24-72 hours after a valid prescription is received.
- Prescription items are NOT returnable – once they have shipped, we are unable to take them back.
- Prescriptions are filled for animal use only written by a doctor of veterinarian medicine licensed in the United States.
- No prescriptions will be filled for human use.
- When an order is placed, you may see a 'HOLD' on your bank card, however, we do not capture and collect funds until either the prescription is approved and processes or your over-the-counter products are shipped.
- Please use this link for proper methods of disposing unused medicine.