NexGard is prescribed by veterinarians to kill ticks and adult fleas in pets eight weeks or older, weighing four or more pounds. This fast-acting medication helps to prevent infestations and provides safe and effective year-round protection when given monthly. Best of all, it comes in a tasty, beef-flavored soft chew, which means it's easy to give to your pet as a tasty treat.
Kills adult fleas and is indicated for the treatment and prevention of flea infestations and the treatment and control of black-legged tick, American dog tick, Lone Star tick and brown dog tick infestations in dogs and puppies eight weeks of age and older, weighing four pounds or greater, for one month.
Possible Side Effects
NexGard (afoxolaner) is for use in dogs only. The most frequently reported adverse reactions include vomiting, itching, lethargy, diarrhea, and lack of appetite. The safe use of NexGard in pregnant, breeding, or lactating dogs has not been evaluated. Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures or neurologic disorders.
Drug & Food Interactions
In a well-controlled field study, NexGard was used concomitantly with other medications, such as vaccines, anthelmintics, antibiotics (including topicals), steroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), anesthetics, and antihistamines. No adverse reactions were observed from the concomitant use of NexGard with other medications. For specific questions about your dog, we recommend that you consult with your veterinarian.
Afoxolaner is a member of the isoxazoline class. This class has been associated with neurologic adverse reactions including tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving isoxazoline class drugs, even in dogs without a history of seizures. Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures or neurologic disorders. The safe use of NexGard in breeding, pregnant or lactating dogs has not been evaluated.
11.3 mg Afoxolaner.
Consult your veterinarian for proper dosing instructions.
Store at or below 30°C (86°F) with excursions permitted up to 40°C (104°F).
What are the Key Benefits of NexGard?
Vet-recommended flea and tick control that kills fleas fast, before they can lay eggs
The only FDA-approved product for the prevention of infections that cause Lyme disease. NexGard kills infected black-legged ticks before Lyme infections can be transmitted.
Quickly kills fleas and ticks for a full month
Each beef-flavored chew is easy to give because dogs love the taste.
Safe for dogs and puppies as young as 8 weeks, weighing 4 pounds or more.
Can be given with or without food, and remains effective for a full month.
How does NexGard work?
Afoxolaner is absorbed into the bloodstream after ingestion. When fleas and ticks ingest blood containing afoxolaner, it causes hyperexcitation and death in these parasites.
Does NexGard also kill ticks?
NexGard also kills the Lone Star tick, Black-legged tick, American Dog tick and Brown dog tick.
How old does my dog need to be in order to take NexGard?
NexGard (afoxolaner) is safe and effective for use in puppies 8 weeks of age or older, weighing 4 pounds or more.
How long does it take NexGard to kill fleas?
In a study, NexGard killed 100% of fleas within 24 hours.
Why am I seeing more fleas on my pet after administering NexGard?
NexGard stimulates the flea’s nervous system, causing them to rise to the top of your dog's haircoat as they die.
Does NexGard have an expiration date?
Two years from the date of manufacture. You can locate the expiration date on the outside of the package of NexGard.
How long after administering NexGard to my dog can he be bathed or go swimming?
Because NexGard is an oral product, swimming or bathing has no effect on NexGard. Your dog’s coat can get wet immediately after taking NexGard.
Can I use it if my dog is on medication?
In a well-controlled field study, NexGard was used concomitantly with other medications, such as vaccines, anthelmintics, antibiotics (including topicals), steroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), anesthetics, and antihistamines.
Is NexGard safe to use on any breed of dog?
NexGard is safe and effective in any breed of dog when used as directed.
Can NexGard be used on cats and other pets?
No. NexGard should be used on dogs only.
Can I administer it more than once a month?
Don't re-administer NexGard before the month is through. It keeps working for a full 30 days.
Are there any side effects of NexGard?
The most commonly reported adverse reactions found in NexGard for Dogs include vomiting, itching, diarrhea, lethargy and lack of appetite. Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures.
How to Order Your Pet’s Prescription Medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- Log into your account on pasadenapetstore.com and create your account if you are ordering any prescription items. This way, You can track all your previous history of orders with us including your pet, veterinarian information.
- Please allow us to contact your veterinarian and give us, Pasadena Pet Store, to obtain a prescription on your behalf by faxing a form to your vet or call to send us the prescription. All your vet needs to do is fill out the form We will be providing and fax them back to us.
- During the checkout, you will be asked to provide information about your animal(s) and your veterinarian. Please have the following information ready if you’re able:
- Your animal's name, species, date of birth and gender
- Any allergies your animal may have to medications
- Current listing of any medications your animal may be taking
- Your veterinarian's name, fax number, and phone number
- By Fax: Your vet can fax the prescription from his or her office to (626) 568-1115. If you have already placed an order, please have your vet reference the order number on the document.
*Faxed prescriptions must come from your veterinarian’s office. Please do not send such fax yourself. *
- By Phone: Your vet can approve your prescription over the phone by speaking with a Pasadena Pet Store pharmacist at (626) 568-1115.
- By Mail: You can mail the original written prescription (no photocopies, please) to:
Pasadena Pet Store / Pasadena Pets Hospital
2850 East Foothill Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91780
Please Note: If you have the original written prescription (or notarized copy of the prescription) – you must mail it to the pharmacy. Please do not email your prescription (if you have the original). We cannot accept prescriptions via email. All prescriptions remain on file at Pasadena Pet Store and are valid for one year (unless a shorter date is specified by the prescriber) or until the total quantity has been dispensed, whichever occurs first.
Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by your veterinarian. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
- 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM PST M-F
- Please contact our pharmacy at (626) 568-1115 for any questions
- Any phone calls and/or emails left before 2:00 PM PST will be returned that business day - calls/emails left after 2:00 PM PST will be returned the next business day.
*In the event of an emergency - please contact your local veterinarian immediately.*
- You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase prescription medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- The availability of medications may vary by state.
- We cannot ship any prescription medications to destinations outside of the United States.
- When ordering prescription items, you must FIRST log in or create an account to complete your order.
- Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by your veterinarian. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
- Prescription products are generally shipped 24-72 hours after a valid prescription is received.
- Prescription items are NOT returnable – once they have shipped, we are unable to take them back.
- Prescriptions are filled for animal use only written by a doctor of veterinarian medicine licensed in the United States.
- No prescriptions will be filled for human use.
- When an order is placed, you may see a 'HOLD' on your bank card, however, we do not capture and collect funds until either the prescription is approved and processes or your over-the-counter products are shipped.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.