Metronidazole is an oral medication prescribed for the treatment of various types of infections, including bacterial infections and protozoal infections caused by parasites. Metronidazole may also help treat other inflammations found in the gastric system. This single-ingredient antibiotic comes in a tablet form and is available in two strength options. Customers may receive this drug under the names Flagyl, Metizol, Protostat, Metrogel.
Metronidazole is formulated to help treat susceptible anaerobic bacterial infections, protozoa and other inflammatory conditions in the GI tract. This medication may also help resolve bacterial infections found in the mouth.
Possible Side Effects
The most common side effects include loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting. Other side effects may include weakness, blood in the urine, diarrhea, stumbling and head tilt. Liver disease is also possible but unlikely. Two serious adverse reactions reported in pets treated with metronidazole have been convulsive seizures and peripheral neuropathy, the latter characterized mainly by numbness or paresthesia of an extremity.
Drug & Food Interactions
Discuss all other medications or supplements your pet is taking with your veterinarian before giving Metronidazole. Interactions are possible with anticoagulants, cimetidine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, and some sedatives/tranquilizers. Other drug interactions may occur.
This medication should not be given to pets who are pregnant or lactating. Pets who are debilitated or who suffer from liver disease should take Metronidazole with extreme caution.
This drug is FDA-approved for human use. However, it is common practice for veterinarians to prescribe such drugs for use in dogs and cats.
NOTE: For Generic Medications, picture displayed may not depict actual product. Generic medications may vary from one order to the next by size, color and shape depending on manufacturer. Customers may receive the same drug under the names Flagyl, Metizol, Protostat, Metrogel.
Give this medication as directed. Do not stop this medication or change dosage.Storage Instructions
Store below 86°F.
What is Metronidazole?
This is an oral medication that helps to kill susceptible anaerobic bacteria and protozoa including Giardia. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract so it can be helpful in the treatment of diarrhea as a result of multiple causes.
What are the benefits of Metronidazole?
- Effective against many cases of diarrhea.
- Helps with intestinal and periodontal infections plus other susceptible infections.
- Treats Giardia.
How is this medication given?
Use exactly as directed. Always follow the instructions your veterinarian gives you for your individual pet. If you have questions about how to use Metronidazole correctly, contact your veterinarian.
How does this medication work?
Susceptible anaerobic bacteria and certain protozoa are killed most likely as a result of inhibition of DNA synthesis within the affected organism. Metronidazole also works to reduce inflammation in the GI tract so it can be help in the treatment of diarrhea.
What results can I expect?
Your pets infection or condition should improve when you use Metronidazole as prescribed. Some conditions respond with a short course of treatment. Other more chronic conditions may require several weeks or more before they are resolved. If your pet seems to be worsening or is not improving after all required medication has been given, notify your veterinarian.
How to Order Your Pet’s Prescription Medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- Log into your account on pasadenapetstore.com and create your account if you are ordering any prescription items. This way, You can track all your previous history of orders with us including your pet, veterinarian information.
- Please allow us to contact your veterinarian and give us, Pasadena Pet Store, to obtain a prescription on your behalf by faxing a form to your vet or call to send us the prescription. All your vet needs to do is fill out the form We will be providing and fax them back to us.
- During the checkout, you will be asked to provide information about your animal(s) and your veterinarian. Please have the following information ready if you’re able:
- Your animal's name, species, date of birth and gender
- Any allergies your animal may have to medications
- Current listing of any medications your animal may be taking
- Your veterinarian's name, fax number, and phone number
- By Fax: Your vet can fax the prescription from his or her office to (626) 568-1115. If you have already placed an order, please have your vet reference the order number on the document.
*Faxed prescriptions must come from your veterinarian’s office. Please do not send such fax yourself. *
- By Phone: Your vet can approve your prescription over the phone by speaking with a Pasadena Pet Store pharmacist at (626) 568-1115.
- By Mail: You can mail the original written prescription (no photocopies, please) to:
Pasadena Pet Store / Pasadena Pets Hospital
2850 East Foothill Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91780
Please Note: If you have the original written prescription (or notarized copy of the prescription) – you must mail it to the pharmacy. Please do not email your prescription (if you have the original). We cannot accept prescriptions via email. All prescriptions remain on file at Pasadena Pet Store and are valid for one year (unless a shorter date is specified by the prescriber) or until the total quantity has been dispensed, whichever occurs first.
Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by your veterinarian. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
- 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM PST M-F
- Please contact our pharmacy at (626) 568-1115 for any questions
- Any phone calls and/or emails left before 2:00 PM PST will be returned that business day - calls/emails left after 2:00 PM PST will be returned the next business day.
*In the event of an emergency - please contact your local veterinarian immediately.*
- You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase prescription medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- The availability of medications may vary by state.
- We cannot ship any prescription medications to destinations outside of the United States.
- When ordering prescription items, you must FIRST log in or create an account to complete your order.
- Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by your veterinarian. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
- Prescription products are generally shipped 24-72 hours after a valid prescription is received.
- Prescription items are NOT returnable – once they have shipped, we are unable to take them back.
- Prescriptions are filled for animal use only written by a doctor of veterinarian medicine licensed in the United States.
- No prescriptions will be filled for human use.
- When an order is placed, you may see a 'HOLD' on your bank card, however, we do not capture and collect funds until either the prescription is approved and processes or your over-the-counter products are shipped.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.