Lactulose is a liquid medication prescribed to soften stools and manage the uncomfortable symptoms of constipation. It can also be used to help support animals who suffer from liver problems. Because it comes in a liquid form, it's easy to administer—simply add it to regular meals or give directly. Customers may receive this drug under the names Enulose, Cephulac, Kristalose.
Lactulose is used as a stool softener to help treat constipation. It has also been used in the treatment of liver disease to help prevent ammonia from building up in the blood.
Possible Side Effects
Diarrhea, loss of appetite, flatulence (increased gas), and cramping have been reported. Gastrointestinal side effects can subside with time. Other side effects may occur. An allergic reaction to Lactulose is possible. Your pet may experience swelling, listlessness, and shock if this occurs. If your pet appears sick in any way after receiving Lactulose, contact your veterinarian immediately. Let your veterinarian know if your pet produces less than 2-3 soft stools per day.
Drug & Food Interactions
Let your veterinarian know about any other medications or supplements your pet is taking before starting Lactulose. Some antibiotics, oral antacids, and other laxatives may interact with Lactulose. Other drug interactions are possible.
This medication should not be used in pets who are hypersensitive to Lactulose. Lactulose may also alter insulin requirements in diabetic pets.
This drug is FDA-approved for human use. However, it is common practice for veterinarians to prescribe such drugs for use in dogs and cats.
NOTE: For Generic Medications, picture displayed may not depict actual product. Generic medications may vary from one order to the next by size, color and shape depending on manufacturer. Customers may receive the same drug under the names Enulose, Cephulac, Kristalose.
Lactulose, Lactose, Sodium Hydroxide, Purified Water.
Use this medication as directed by your veterinarian. If you forget a dose, give it as soon as possible but do not give two doses at the same time.Storage Instructions
Store at controlled room temperatures of 59° - 86°F. Avoid excessive heat.
What is Lactulose?
This is an oral medication that is used to help manage constipation in cats and dogs. It can also be used to help support pets who suffer from liver problems.
What are the benefits of Lactulose?
- Liquid formulation allows for easy administration.
- Softens stools to help ease constipation.
- Can assist in the management of feline megacolon.
- Helps reduce chances of hepatic encephalopathy in pets with liver disease.
How is this medication given?
Give this medication by mouth exactly as directed by your veterinarian.
Lactulose is a liquid medication so It may be easiest to deliver it to your pet using a syringe. Some animals may not like the taste of Lactulose (especially cats).
If you are not sure how to give this medication properly, contact your veterinarian for further instructions.
How does this medication work?
Lactulose is the active ingredient that helps to draw water into the stool which helps to increase volume and works to make each stool softer and easier to pass. Lactulose can also prevent the absorption of ammonia from the gut so it can be helpful in the management of liver disease.
What results can I expect?
Lactulose is effective in softening the stools in pets who suffer from constipation. Pets using this medication should pass 2-3 soft stools per day.
Symptoms can return if medication is discontinued.
How to Order Your Pet’s Medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- Log into your account on pasadenapetstore.com and create your account if you are ordering any prescription items. This way, You can track all your previous history of orders with us including your pet, veterinarian information.
- Please allow us to contact your veterinarian and give us, Pasadena Pet Store, to obtain a prescription on your behalf by faxing a form to your vet or call to send us the prescription. All your vet needs to do is fill out the form We will be providing and fax them back to us.
- During the checkout, you will be asked to provide information about your animal(s) and your veterinarian. Please have the following information ready if you’re able:
- Your animal's name, species, date of birth and gender
- Any allergies your animal may have to medications
- Current listing of any medications your animal may be taking
- Your veterinarian's name, fax number, and phone number
- By Fax: Your vet can fax the prescription from his or her office to (626) 568-1115. If you have already placed an order, please have your vet reference the order number on the document.
*Faxed prescriptions must come from your veterinarian’s office. Please do not send such fax yourself. *
- By Phone: Veterinarian can approve your prescription over the phone by speaking with a Pasadena Pet Store pharmacist at (626) 568-1115.
- By Mail: You can mail the original written prescription (no photocopies, please) to:
Pasadena Pet Store / Pasadena Pets Hospital
2850 East Foothill Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91780
Please Note: If you have the original written prescription (or notarized copy of the prescription) – you must mail it to the pharmacy. Please do not email your prescription (if you have the original). We cannot accept prescriptions via email. All prescriptions remain on file at Pasadena Pet Store and are valid for one year (unless a shorter date is specified by the prescriber) or until the total quantity has been dispensed, whichever occurs first.
Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by veterinarians. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
Online Store Hours:
- 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM PST M-F
- Please contact our store at (626) 568-1115 for any questions or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any phone calls and/or emails left before 2:00 PM PST will be returned that business day - calls/emails left after 2:00 PM PST will be returned the next business day.
*In the event of an emergency - please contact your local veterinarian immediately.*
- You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase medications from Pasadena Pet Store
- The availability of medications may vary by state.
- We cannot ship any prescription medications to destinations outside of the United States nor non-approved state.
- You have to be an existing client or previous client, and existing client relationship with veterinarian is within 1 year.
- When ordering prescription items, you must FIRST log in or create an account to complete your order. We will not ship or fill any medicine without existing client relationship with us, nor without prescription.
- Prescriptions can only be dispensed as written by your veterinarian. The prescription must be written for the specific medication and quantity you wish to order. Any changes will require a new prescription from your veterinarian.
- Prescription products are generally shipped 24-72 hours after a valid prescription is received.
- Prescription items are NOT returnable – once they have shipped, we are unable to take them back.
- Prescriptions are filled for animal use only written by a doctor of veterinarian medicine licensed in the United States.
- No prescriptions will be filled for human use.
- When an order is placed, you may see a 'HOLD' on your bank card, however, we do not capture and collect funds until either the prescription is approved and processes or your over-the-counter products are shipped.
- Please use this link for proper methods of disposing unused medicine.