Mupirocin is FDA-approved to treat bacterial skin infections in dogs, and may also be prescribed to other animal species in certain situations. Usually applied to the skin twice daily, it should not be administered close to your pet’s eyes, and it’s important to prevent her from licking or grooming the area for at least 20 to 30 minutes after application. Talk to your veterinarian for more information on how to apply mupirocin and whether it’s right for your pet.
Mupirocin is FDA-approved for treating infections in dogs (eg, superficial pyoderma, fold pyoderma, interdigital cysts, draining tracts, acne, pressure point pyodermas) caused by susceptible strains of Staphylococcus aureus or Staphylococcus pseudintermedius, including beta-lactamase producing and methicillin-resistant strains. It may also be of use in other species and conditions (eg, feline acne, equine pyoderma, interdigital abscesses, pressure point pyodermas).
Possible Side Effects
Mupirocin appears to be very well tolerated; contact reactions (eg, pain, erythema, itching) are possible but thought to occur rarely.
Drug & Food Interactions
Mupirocin is contraindicated in patients with a history of hypersensitive reactions to it or other ointments containing polyethylene glycol. Because the ointment has a polyethylene glycol base, the manufacturer warns that nephrotoxicity may potentially develop if used on extensive deep lesions.
Eye Irritation: Avoid contact with eyes. Local Irritation: Discontinue in the event of sensitization or severe local irritation.
Active Ingredient: Mupirocin. Inactive Ingredients: Polyethylene glycol 400 and polyethylene glycol 3350
Consult with your veterinarian on the recommended dosage
Store at room temperature between 68 to 77 F
How is this medication useful?
The FDA (U.S. Food & Drug Administration) has approved this drug for use in dogs for treating bacterial infections on the skin. The FDA allows veterinarians to prescribe and use products containing this drug in different species or for other conditions in certain situations. You and your veterinarian can discuss why this drug is the most appropriate choice.
How long until I will know if this medication is working, and how long will the effects of this medication last?
This medication should start having effects within 1 to 2 hours; however, you may not see the effects of this medication outwardly. Your animal should begin feeling better within 1 to 2 days. The effects of this medication are short-lived, meaning they will stop working within 24 hours.
If my animal gets too much of this medication (an overdose), what should I do?
If you witness or suspect an overdose or accidental ingestion of the product, contact your veterinarian or an animal poison control center for further advice. Animal poison control centers open 24-hours a day include: Pet Poison HELPLINE (855-764-7661) and ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435); a consultation fee may be charged for these services.